Opening a jar. Turning a key. Shaking a hand.
When you have hand pain, even the most basic everyday activities can be a struggle. Conditions like arthritis, tendinitis, and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
can become debilitating when left unchecked and the pain will only cease when you take action against it. Start the healing process today by adding a series of simple hand exercises into your daily routine. Just five to ten minutes a day can help to increase joint flexibility, increase hand strength, and improve range of motion.
Finding the time may be easier than you think. Considering that we spend an average of 13 hours per week reading and answering emails
, our hands deserve a few minutes of our attention. Work a hand exercise in between emails or during phone calls and begin to see the improvement. Winning the battle against hand pain starts today.
We’ve put together a list of 6 simple and easy to do hand and wrist exercises that you can do just about anywhere. Aim for 10 repetitions per exercise, per hand.
Exercise 1: Forearm Stretch
- Place one hand and forearm flush on a table facing down.
- Lift your elbow off, keeping your hand in place.
- The hand being stretched should create a 90 degree angle with your forearm (Try to keep your palm on the table through the stretch)
- Hold for 5 seconds.
Exercise 2: Make a Fist
- Spread your fingers wide apart.
- Pull them into a fist with your thumb on the outside.
- Hold fist for 5 seconds (don’t squeeze too hard) then open hand with fingers wide apart.
Exercise 3: Tip Touches
- Hold you hand upright and spread your fingers comfortably
- Touch your thumb to the tip of your pinky finger, then open back to starting position
- Touch thumb to each finger tip from pinky to index finger and back again.
Exercise 4: Thumb Extensions
- Begin with your thumb positioned outward.
- Bend your thumb inward toward the palm and stretch to touch the bottom of the pinky finger (or as close as you can get).
- Hold for 2-3 seconds.
Exercise 5: Finger Lifts
- Place your hand palm down on the table.
- One at a time, lift each finger off the table starting with your thumb.
- Hold each finger off the table for 1-2 seconds.
Exercise 6: Wrist Flips
- Hold your arms at by your side with elbows bent at 90 degrees, palms facing down.
- Rotate your forearms so your palm faces up, then back down.
- Repeat 10 times per wrist.
Dedicate just a few minutes each day to these simple exercises and get your life back in motion!
Back to PainFreeHands